We have an exciting temporary opportunity to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency in central Southampton, for an Admin Officer Certification Officer.
The Temporary Worker will provide administrative support. He or she will follow set procedures and will exercise some independent judgement in carrying out instructions, under general supervision.
Examples of work performed will include but not be restricted to:
- Receive, open and record all incoming mail, including fax and e-mail. Input details of post received to the appropriate post spreadsheet and the Seafarer Documentation System (SDS)
- Assess and process applications to enable seafarers to sit Merchant Navy Yacht and Fishing Vessel Deck and Engineer oral examinations
- Assess applications from seafarers for Global Maritime Distress & Safety System endorsements, re-validations and for Vessel Traffic Services (VTS)
- Issue appropriate notices of eligibility (NOE) or notices of assessment (NOA) or assist with the issue of the Letters of Initial of Assessment (LIA) to seafarers who are eligible to sit an oral examination. Notify seafarers who are not eligible to sit an oral examination
- Issue Certificates of Competency/Equivalent Competency to seafarers who meet the qualification criteria
- Answer telephone enquiries and reply to written enquiries relating to the certification of seafarers
- Contribute to and provide support for other administrative tasks such as: branch projects, customer service initiatives and improvement of working practices.
Features of the role:
- Working hours are Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm, long temporary on-going assignment
- Pay rate: £9.06/hr for the first 12 weeks, after that it will go up to £11.19 / hour, 37.30 standard hours/week
Location: Spring Place, Southampton, SO15 1EG
*The offered candidate will be subject to a dbs check and a vetting.