I am recruiting for an Assistant Dean to based out of a Birmingham University campus but also overseeing the academic quality and enhancement for the London campus's too. This is a rare and very exciting opportunity and the University are offering a salary of up to £63000 with a fantastic benefits package.
My client is a nationally based public University, offering a range of courses and qualifications to over 25000 students in various locations, including approx. 1500 at its Learning Centres in Birmingham and 2000 in the London Learning Centres. They are not your usual University and they focus on widening access to Higher Education with a very multi-cultural student base and have 3 student intakes a year as opposed to the traditional 1 intake per annum.
You will be responsible for the management of the academic programmes focussing on the quality and enhancement of these across the Birmingham and London learning centres. You will be directly responsible for circa 16 Programme Managers and will work very closely with the Provost, Executive Dean and Academic Operations Manager.
You will be overseeing the programme development and quality assurance of all qualifications offered and that the student's learning experience is of the highest quality. You will be heavily involved in managing policies, procedures and ensuring that the University's Birmingham/London Learning Centres is fully compliant with all relevant requirements from within the University and external Bodies, such as the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), HEFCW, UKVI, etc.
Although based in Birmingham you will be required to travel to London (fairly regularly) and other areas of the UK. You must be educated to a minimum of Masters level (ideally PhD) with experience of HE management (FE may be considered).
TYPICAL DAILY JOB DUTIES - WHAT ARE YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR?
- Support the Provost, Executive Dean and Operations Manager on all matters of academic programmes, policy, planning, quality assurance, management, decision-making and governance
- Line Manage circa 16 Programme Managers and provide support on curriculum development
- Ensure a high-quality student experience
- Lead on policy aspects relating to assessment, external examiners, examining boards, quality review and enhancement
- Provide leadership across all Birmingham and London Learning Centres on the quality assurance of all academic issues including but not limited to:
* Programme development, monitoring, annual and periodic programme reviews
* Enhancement of the student learning experience
* Internal and external quality and performance audits
* External examiners and examining boards
- Establish constructive, harmonious and effective working relationships with respective relevant bodies and organisations
- Lead the compliance team to meet the requirements of the Academic Quality Handbook and the requirements of external bodies such as the QAA, UKVI, data protection, and other professional regulatory and statutory bodies,
- Contribute effectively to the efficient running of the Learning Centres at strategic, operational and financial levels including succession planning
- Represent the University on University committees
- Undertake some teaching / research supervision responsibilities, as required
- Lead on a number of key strategic initiatives such as The Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), The National Student Survey (NSS) and other national surveys linked to student experience
- Educated to Masters Level is essential and ideally with a PhD
- Experience of working in a culturally diverse environment
- Experience working within academic management in a Higher Education (HE) position (FE experience may be considered)
- Exceptional leadership skills with both an academic and strategic mindset
- Excellent customer service and communication skills with the ability to identify risks and propose solutions
- Confident in working to strict regulations, guidelines/legislations
- Evidence of successfully operating within the Academic Quality framework and with the requirements of external bodies such as the QAA and/or other professional, regulatory and statutory bodies
- Knowledge and experience of analysing key performance metrics
- Demonstrable knowledge of academic teaching practice and principles
- Ability to prioritise, plan and organise own activity and that of others
- Able to travel to London (fairly regularly) and nationally (on occasions)
PACKAGE AND BENEFITS
- Up to £63000 annual salary
- Monday - Friday (37 hours), with the flexibility to work weekends, if required
- 35 days annual leave per year (plus 8 bank holidays & 4 University closure days)
- Above average Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- On site car parking
- Tier 2 sponsorship would be considered
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
Please send your CV and call Adam on 0121 643 6954
***If you have not received a response within 48 hours, unfortunately your CV has not been selected on this occasion***