We have an exciting temporary opportunity to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency in central Southampton. This is a customer facing role within the Seafarer Training and Certification Branch. We aim to deliver a high level of customer service by ensuring that certificates issued to seafarers and in respect of vessels comply with the relevant legislative requirements and are issued accurately within the time frame of our service level agreements.
The role purpose is to process applications from seafarers for marine examinations leading to Certificates of Competency/Equivalent Competency and other marine certificates and to give related advice and assistance.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Receive, open and record all incoming mail, including fax and e-mail. Input details of post received to the appropriate post spreadsheet and the Seafarer Documentation System (SDS).
- Assess and process applications to enable seafarers to sit Merchant Navy Yacht and Fishing Vessel Deck and Engineer oral examinations. Request further information where necessary.
- Assess applications from seafarers for Global Maritime Distress & Safety System endorsements, re-validations and for Vessel Traffic Services (VTS).
- Issue appropriate notices of eligibility (NOE) or notices of assessment (NOA) or assist with the issue of the Letters of Initial of Assessment (LIA) to seafarers who are eligible to sit an oral examination. Notify seafarers who are not eligible to sit an oral examination.
- Issue Certificates of Competency/Equivalent Competency to seafarers who meet the qualification criteria.
- Answer telephone enquiries and reply to written enquiries relating to the certification of seafarers.
- Contribute to and provide support for other administrative tasks such as: branch projects, customer service initiatives and improvement of working practices.
Relevant experience and qualifications:
- IT Skills: Qualifications or demonstrable experience in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Demonstrable experience in a customer service environment; face to face, telephone and written communication experience is essential.
- Minimum of A* - C GCSE (or equivalent) in Maths and English
Pay rate: £7.98/hour, it will go up to £10.63 after 12 worked weeks / Monday to Friday-37.50 hours/week