The Ministry of Justice - Court Usher
Location: Huddersfield Centre
Hours: Monday - Friday (37 hours)
This is an ongoing temporary position with the possibility of a further extension at the discretion of the business requirements.
We are currently recruiting for a Full Time Court Usher to join the Kirklees Magistrates Civic Centre with our client, The Ministry of Justice. The role will include working as part of a flexible team. This is a very interesting and varied role. The suitable candidate will be required to assist running the courts and carrying out general clerical work as and when required to support the work of HMCTS.
- Running the court
- Liaising with customers from Judiciary and Jurors to the general public
- Prepare court/hearing rooms
- Operating recording equipment and completing documentation
- Ensuring the court runs smoothly and efficiently
- General clerical work to support the work of HMCTS
- Interacting with witnesses, legal representatives, parties and other members of the public (on reception duties and generally) and checking that witnesses, defendants, and lawyers are present
- Calling defendants and witnesses into court and directing the taking of oaths
What we are looking for:
- Treat all colleagues fairly and be sensitive to their needs as individuals
- Be approachable, non-judgemental and honest and respects confidences in dealing with others
- Remain calm, polite and tactful when dealing with difficult people
- Pass on important information to all concerned promptly and clearly, with tact and honesty
- Basic IT skills in Microsoft Windows
- Must be able to react quickly if and when anything unexpected occurs
You will be comfortable in dealing sensitively and professionally with people from all walks of life; many of whom may be vulnerable and under stress. Advice and support are readily available and there is little discretion to depart from standard procedures, which may require you to take a firm stance when those procedures are not understood or welcomed by a court user.
*Please note working for the Ministry of Justice will require you to have photographic ID. This can be a Full-length Birth Certificate supported by a driving or provisional licence in your current address OR an in-date passport*