We are looking for a Court Usher to work for our client, MOJ based in Leeds City Centre. This is a temporary long term assignment; the hours of work will be 37 hours, Monday-Friday. The rate of pay will be £7.83ph rising to £7.92ph after 12 weeks.
The role will include working as part of a flexible team. You will be an essential first point of contact for all the court users involved in hearings. The post holder will be expected to complete the following duties:
- Running the court
- Liaising with customers from Judiciary and Jurors to the general public
- Prepare court/hearing rooms,
- Operating recording equipment and complete documentation
- Ensuring the court runs smoothly and efficiently.
- You will also carry out some general clerical work as required to support the work of HMCTS.
- Must be prepared to react quickly and professionally to situations, some of which may be unexpected.
- Take responsibility for the quality of own work and keep manager informed of how the work is progressing
- Interacting with witnesses, legal representatives, parties and other members of the public (on reception duties and generally) and checking that witnesses, defendants, and lawyers are present.
- Calling defendant and witnesses into court and directing the taking of oaths.
You will be comfortable in dealing sensitively and professionally with people from all walks of life; many of whom may be vulnerable and under stress. Advice and support is readily available and there is little discretion to depart from standard procedures, which may require you to take a firm stance when those procedures are not understood or welcomed by a court user.
Ushers work within a team with regular management support and are responsible for their own time. Whilst initially you will be allocated to a specific court or office base, there will be a need for flexibility to work on an ad hoc basis at other courthouses and local HMCTS offices.