Up to £16.57 per hour
23 days ago
Brook Street in partnership with the Home Office has a fantastic opportunity to join the Litigation Team as an Executive Officer!
Location:Feltham, London, TW148HA
Salary: £16,57 per hour
Contract: Temporary, 6-months - the possibility of extension
Working Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday: 9:00 to 17:00, 37 hours per week
Why choose us?
- Hybrid working at least 3 days in office
- Developing a career in the Civil Service
- Staff support obtaining relevant professional qualifications, apprenticeship
- Exciting, challenging and rewarding place to work
- Free parking
- Free shuttle bus service from Hatton Cross and Feltham stations
- Café serves the Bedfont Lakes Business Park
Any university degree OR recent experience of complex case working in a government litigation team, OR significant litigation experience in a government case working team
A valid passport, 2 x proofs of address, proof of NI, and must have lived in the UK for the last 5 years.
Litigation caseworkers work in the Upper Tribunal and High Court but may also be involved in cases progressing to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. You will gain expertise in a certain area of immigration. As you develop, you may take on a wider range. You will hone your decision-making skills, spotting which decisions to defend and to reconsider.
- Assessing challenges in pre-action protocol correspondence or judicial review claims against UK immigration legislation, policies, procedures, and decisions on immigration applications.
- Responding to pre-action protocol correspondence, referring to operational areas for action to remedy original errors.
- Escalating policy/procedural issues from pre-action protocol correspondence, judicial review claims. private law damages claims.
- Liaising with and instructing lawyers to a legal course of action, managing litigation, approving grounds of defence.
- Supporting government lawyers, defending cases at hearing stages, securing witness statements.
- Deciding when cases should be settled, working with stakeholders to secure financial authority ensuring best cost outcomes.
- Liaising with and providing advice to decision makers and supporting in learning lessons from legal challenges.
- Maintaining accurate records of activities/work completed across a range of systems.
Essential skills & criteria:
- Effective decision-making, judgement and a considered approach in a changing, time pressured environment
- Organising, planning, preparation, maximising time, and productivity
- Precision, detailed-focused ensuring accurate, error free work
- Anticipating avoiding problems before they occur
- Prioritising work to ensure legal deadlines are met maintaining quality
- Establishing mutual respect, trust, building relationships internally and externally
- Motivated, inspiring others to achieve targets
- Resilient and inner composure to recover, learn from setbacks
- Responsible, ownership for own decisions, accountable for deliverables
- Supporting others in leading change
- Analysing complex information, identifying errors, irregularities
- Excellent communication, emphasis on drafting skills
- Complying with set standards, applying relevant guidance and case law
- Good customer service skills
- Follow set standards, guidance
- Good IT skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Training & Drafting:
Minimum leave in the first 4-6 weeks. Training: e-learning, core sessions, mentoring lasting 3 months. Employee holidays during this period only granted for exceptional circumstances.
Brook Street are proud to support the Armed Forces Covenant and as such, we guarantee to interview all candidates who are veterans or spouses/partners of military personnel, and who meet all the essential criteria for the vacancy.
As a Disability Confident Leader, and holder of the Gold Award status from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme, Brook Street, as a supplier to the Public Sector Resourcing Framework (PSR), will offer you a guaranteed interview with a PSR Sourcer.
Should you identify as a candidate with a disability and/or as a veteran or spouse/partner of military personnel and meet all the essential criteria for the role, we encourage you to reach out to us via the Brook Street website. Here you will find a link to register your interest and state the role that you are interested in. We are committed to engaging with you.
In cases where we have a high volume of ex-military candidates/military spouses/partners, who meet all of the essential criteria, Brook Street will interview the best candidates from within that group.