Up to £11.72 per hour
about 1 month ago
Location: Leeds (Hybrid Working, 3 days in the office and 2 from home)
Job Type: Temporary Contract up March 2024
Sector: Public Sector
Hours: 37 hours a week
The Government Legal Department (GLD) is the largest provider of legal services across Government, working with all the main Whitehall Departments. Please note, this role does not include any legal or paralegal work.
The Business Management Team as part of the Commercial Law Group within GLD, are looking for Business Management Officers (EO grade) who are enthusiastic and proactive, with the ability and resilience to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment, to provide day to day Business Management support to our legal teams and their Deputy Directors. Although posts are currently temporary, there is an expectation that we will be recruiting permanently and candidates in post on a temporary basis will be able to apply.
The role requires a very strong skill set, meeting challenging deadlines and a high degree of attention to detail. All round IT skills are needed as well as the ability to communicate with staff at all grades. The post holder will support delivery of key business priorities and help to build and develop a strong Business Management ethos whilst delivering an excellent service. The work is fast paced and will suit a great team player.
Successful candidates will primarily focus on providing support to a Deputy Director and their team of lawyers. Successful candidates will also work on Corporate Tasks which support the Commercial Law Group as a whole.
Key responsibilities for this role may include a blend of the following:
- Organisational skills: Arranging meetings, booking training, travel and accommodation. Escorting Visitors and managing team communication.
- On/off boarding staff, ensuring new staff have relevant IT and system access. Liaising with the relevant teams to identify and resolve issues.
- Proactively managing diaries and queries for Deputy Director/ Directors and identifying issues when they arise.
- Working across the Government Legal Department to support on a number of corporate activities including events, training, data handling and ad hoc support.
- To also support GLD and deliver corporate engagement activities and support networks such as Diversity & Inclusion, Learning &Development, Staff Engagement and Wellbeing
- Supporting/ dealing with finance, HR and I.T queries and processes. These can include invoicing, expenses, budget commissioning and agreement with clients and quarterly returns HR support can include actioning new starters and updating records accordingly.
- Document Management: printing, filing, recording minutes, collating returns, updating business/risk plans, Statutory Instruments processing and validation, collation of weekly and monthly reports, preparing papers for lawyers.
- Management Information: Time Recording Systems, Case Management Systems, provision of team and client Management Information (MI)
- Providing ad hoc support to the Business Management Team.
- Each EO has a wider networking focus, in addition to their day-to-day role supporting their respective Directors/Deputy Directors/Line Manager. These provide an opportunity to work with colleagues in the wider Business Management Team and across GLD to deliver corporate tasks and activities.
They are great ways to develop your skills and experience which can be an asset in future Civil Service job applications. These activities/tasks can include arranging all staff events, well-being, skills and careers, training, Business Management away-days and participation in cross GLD working Groups. This list is not exhaustive, and successful candidates will be required to provide ad-hoc support where and when necessary.
Typical qualifications and experience:
- Five GCSE passes at Grade C or above
- Two A level passes at grade E or above or equivalent
- NVQ Management Level 3 or 4 (or suitable junior management experience)
- Administrative experience with a good knowledge of and experience in using Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written