We have an exciting temporary opportunity to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency in central Southampton. This is a customer facing role within the Seafarer Safety & Health department, ensuring UK seafarers are adequately assessed for medical fitness to serve onboard UK flagged vessels, and that MCA approved doctors are kept up to date with relevant standards and guidance.
The role purpose is to process medical referrals and act as the focal point for enquiries from MCA Approved Doctors and seafarers. To provide administrative support in relation to the seafarer medical examination system.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Process and manage medical referrals, ensuring all medical reports and referral forms are fully complete. Ensure quarterly invoices are verified and processed for payment.
- Updating the branch database with those who are referred to appeal, issuing standard letters to notify the seafarer and medical referee that the appeal has been lodged.
- Provide administrative support in organising casework audit meetings, including the preparation of casework audit folders, and making arrangements for the day.
- Provide customer service, answering telephone enquiries / emails / letters from seafarers, Approved Doctors, Marine Offices, industry etc in relation to the medical certification of seafarers and the seafarer medical and eyesight standards
- Receive, open and manage all incoming mail, including fax and emails. Daily management of the branch email box, providing advice to seafarers, industry and Approved Doctors.
- Contribute and provide support to other administrative tasks such as: branch projects, travel and accommodation arrangements, updating the branch website, maintaining oversight of branch time sheets on E-Track, customer service initiatives and improvement of working practices.
Pay rate: £7.98/hour, it will go up to £10.63 after 12 worked weeks / Monday to Friday-37 hours/week