Job Title - Optical Engineer
Location - Cambridge
Brook Street is currently working on behalf of our Global IT Client to recruit a Optical Engineer
This is a contract role based in Cambridge for 18 months.
As a Brook Street contractor you will be entitled to 25 days holiday per annum, 8 days paid Bank Holidays pro rota, discounted gym membership, use of the onsite health facility, access to online learning and training, free parking and an excellent subsidised restaurant.
Salary: £34,935 plus 5% end of contract bonus depending on experience
Job Description / Responsibilities:
We are looking for an Optical Engineering Technician to work alongside world-leading researchers and engineers to support development and use of experimental optical systems. The team is multi-disciplinary, comprising optics, software, and electronics experts with a collaborative and agile atmosphere. The ability to communicate well with other team members and to support overall team goals is crucial.
* Construction of free space experimental setups on optical tables.
* Assisting researchers with the design and layout of free space optical experiments.
* Running experiments, logging results and monitoring equipment.
* Investigate specification of optical components and lead procurement and inventory management.
* Familiar with basic optical design concepts and theory required.
* Experience in industry or academic free space optics lab environment.
* Able to safely conduct experiments with high-power visible and invisible laser radiation, including appropriate laser safety awareness training.
* Handling and mounting components such as mirrors, beam splitters, polarisers, waveplates, optical power meters and ideally basic use electrical test equipment such as oscilloscopes, signal generators also.
* Must have good communication and presentation skills
* Can work independently with minimal supervision towards defined tasks within a team environment.
* Good organizational skills and capable of managing multiple simultaneous tasks effectively.
* Good writing skills, capable of using Microsoft Office components, Outlook, OneNote, Word, SharePoint, Teams etc. to efficiently communicate with other members of the team and report results.
* Able to thrive in a highly agile environment where priorities and tasks change frequently.
Deadline for CV submission: 5.00pm on Friday 28th February