PARALEGAL (EMPLOYMENT LAW)
Education Authority Solicitors
Human Resources and Legal Services Directorate
- To act as Paralegal to Employment Law Solicitors within EA Solicitors
- To assist with the investigation and defence of informal and formal complaints / Industrial Tribunal / legal proceedings against the Education Authority
- To undertake such other duties relevant to the Education Authority Solicitors ("EA Solicitors") as may be reasonably required from time to time.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To act as Paralegal to the Solicitor
- To provide paralegal support to the Solicitor, always ensure strictest confidentiality and diplomacy, make and take calls on behalf of the Solicitor, and maintain a personal and office diary, ensuring compatibility.
- Arrange meetings, consultations, Tribunal hearings, Court appearances and talks/conferences. Arrange alternative cover in Solicitor's absence.
- Check and prioritise mail. Arrange conferences and make appropriate travel arrangements.
- Co-ordinate and administer work of Solicitor in their absence, regarding employment law matters.
- Ensure the timely provision of advice and information to internal and external clients, regarding meeting strict deadlines.
- To draft and prepare routine correspondence and reports, collate information and prepare and update statistical information.
2. Investigation and Defence of Formal and Informal Complaints / Legal Proceedings against EA /Schools
- To assist the Solicitor or any other solicitor within EA Solicitors in the investigation and defence of formal and informal complaints /Tribunal proceedings referred from EA Directorates /Schools.
- To adhere to strict deadlines to ensure statutory time limits are met.
- To assist in the process of appeals against Tribunal / Court decisions.
- To assist in the collation and indexing of discoverable documentation, Court / Tribunal bundles etc.
- Assist with the drafting and response of IT3 responses, Notices of Appearances, Notices for Additional Information, Notices for Discovery etc.
- To maintain effective communication and co-operations with relevant persons including EA Officers, Boards of Governors, Counsel, Witnesses and outside Agencies to ensure quality service delivered.
- To assist with preparation and collation of Counsel's papers and arrange for delivery of same.
- To prepare documentation for hearings and apply for Witness Summons.
- To attend consultations and hearings (as required) in order to provide verbatim report on proceedings.
- To administer payment of Counsel's fees.
1a) Hold a bachelor's degree in law (UK Qualification and Credit Framework Level 6) or an equivalent or higher qualification) - 2.1 LEVEL OR ABOVE.
1b) Have a minimum of five year's experience in a paid capacity providing administrative support which must include the following:
a) Using Microsoft Word (to process letters, memos, reports etc.);
b) Using Microsoft Outlook (to send/receive e-mails;
c) Drafting correspondence;
d) Diary management; and
e) Maintaining records.
- Knowledge of legal work with reference to Employment Law matters and the importance of confidentiality
Skills / Abilities
- Excellent ICT skills
- Good organisational skills and ability to organise / prioritise a busy workload to deliver effective results within strict deadline
- Flexible, adaptable and enthusiastic approach to work
- Ability to use own initiative to solve problems and respond to others
- Ability to work to a high level of accuracy and attention to details
- Ability to research, digest, analyse and present information clearly
- Ability to take a responsive and customer focused approach to work.
YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM:
- Full training and induction
- Contribute positively to Education Authority NI`s value
- Competitive rates of pay
- Brook Street (UK) Ltd back-office support and mentoring
The rate of pay is £10.70 per hour, the hours of work are 0900-1700 Monday to Friday.
If you would like to apply for this role, please call Melissa at Brook Street (UK) Ltd on
028 90 881100 for a confidential chat or email your CV via the `Apply` link.