Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Managing own Case Load of Criminal Law Matters in the Police Station, Magistrates Courts (and Higher Courts by way of briefing Counsel);
· Ensuring that files are in order, that Representation Orders are applied for on time and, if granted, that they are accurate and saved to the appropriate section of each client's file;
· Undertaking all preparation, attendances, advocacy and taking responsibility for all advice given and representations made ensuring that it is always sound, of the highest quality and in the best interests of the Client and the Company;
· Ensuring that accurate records are kept throughout the life of the case and that documents are stored safely and securely both in the office and when transported to court or other hearings, in line with data protection legislation;
· Ensuring that that any clients who are not in receipt of a representation order are sent and fully understand our client care letter and agree to our private fees BEFORE any work is carried out;
· Ensuring that all files are kept in an orderly manner so that should anyone need to check them or work on them, they can easily find the relevant information;
· Recording accurate times for preparation and work done on each client file,
· Ensuring that the files are sent for billing within the appropriate time frames as set by the LAA and that all files and matters are conducted under the guidelines as set out by the LAA and SRA;
· Generation of own client letters, memos and documents using and adhering strictly to the Standard Documents provided to him on the company system (Leap). (Use secretarial staff is permitted to generate letters in situations of urgency and if caseload is such that employee simply has no time to generate these documents personally).
· Regular reporting to Practice Manager in respect of Mandatory Contract hours under the 2017 Legal Aid Contract, Reporting complaints, problems or issues. Discussing Fees & Ensuring Practice Manager is aware of Private Fee Agreements (whether verbal or written) requiring invoicing & other action.
· Key Dating any Directions, Hearings or Attendances;
· Acting at all times in a professional manner befitting a solicitor and representative of the company.
Qualifications Required For the Role:
· Qualification as a Criminal Litigation Accredited Solicitor
· An up to date Practicing Certificate.
· CPD Points are kept up to date
Additional Skills / Requirements:
· Expert Knowledge of the Criminal Legal System.
· Knowledge of Standard Letters & Compliance Procedures
· Good Computer literacy, use of internet and Microsoft Word.
· Use of office mobile and ability to transfer calls.
· Ability to receive and carry out instructions in a timely & orderly manner
· Ability to prioritise important tasks whilst ensuring that less urgent work is dealt with or delegated to someone with the time, ability and knowledge to deal with it.
· Ability to communicate information between parties electronically, verbally and on paper without instruction.
· Ability to work to own initiative and under pressure.
· Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills are necessary for this role.
· Training on LAA Legal Aid Portal, CJSM Secure e-mail, Leap Matter Management and Crown Court Digital Case Management Systems will be provided.
· Adhesion to Policies and Procedures outlined in the office Manual.