Planning Officer - £25k - £35k depending on experience
Are you an experienced Planner / Planning Officer with a proven record of dealing with large-scale residential projects?
Do you have excellent knowledge of planning law and regulations?
Are you looking for a company with genuine progression and excellent training?
Brook Street is pleased to be working with one of South England's largest and most recognised privately owned house builders. Our client has grown rapidly since the company was founded over 20 years ago and continues to build on their solid foundations of hard work, dedication and passion for building with innovation.
Due to continued success, our client is looking to expand their Planning team by employing an experienced Planning Officer at their Southampton Head Office. This is a key role within the group and you will be providing key support, assisting with the planning process management and compliance within the organisation.
Who's right for the job?
You will be an experienced Planner/Planning Officer with knowledge planning law and regulations. You'll be professional and efficient with good attention to detail, have experience of town planning and be a good team player.
The ideal candidate would be:
- Good experience and a working knowledge of Planning processes, laws and regulations in relation to planning approval.
- Full driving licence
- Graduate with a degree in Town planning or similar is with 2+ years' planning experience is desirable however, a Non-grad with 5+ years' "hands-on" experience would equally be considered.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commercial Awareness
- Excellent Administration experience
- Strong communication skills - both oral and written
- Ability to problem solve and resolve issues effectively
- Proven record of dealing with large scale residential schemes
- MRTPI or working towards
- An all-round appreciation of general company and regulatory requirements and processes
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Planning Officer provides key support to the planning team by appraising sites, responding to policy, making planning applications and assisting with planning process management as well as compliance within the organisation.
In addition, to develop relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to solicit feedback that delivers continuous improvement throughout the business.
Key Duties will include:
- Organise and maintain office work systems including ensuring that computer records are accurate and up to date.
- Maintain an up to date record of Local Planning Authorities' Planning policies and Local Plan Reviews for internal reference.
- Monitoring and reviewing local planning policy including strategies which take account of transport, the local economy, jobs, green infrastructure, renewable energy, climate change and the historic environment.
- Conducting appropriate research to inform planning applications.
- Negotiate, obtain quotations from and instruct external engineers and other consultants and assist in the evaluation of their use by the Group.
- Assist in the production of Planning Sketch Schemes through liaison with architects.
- Collate and maintain evidence from public consultation meetings where the planning process requires it.
- Manage the submission of Pre-Approval applications to Local Planning Authorities; arranging meetings with them as appropriate.
- Compile Planning application, conditions and appeal documentation for submission to Local Planning Authorities including research as necessary on prior planning history of sites.
- Submit and manage successful planning applications.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key internal and external customers and external suppliers.
- Attend Planning Committee Meetings, Rights of Way Panels and Public Consultation Meetings to represent the Group as requested by the Planning Director.
- Liaise with the planning team so as to understand all necessary aspects and needs for operational development
- Report to the Planning Manager timely and accurate reporting as requested by him/her, either on a regular or ad hoc basis
- Be personally responsible for own personal continuous professional development, ensuring that he/she remains fully skilled and trained and effective in the post.
What's in it for you?
Our client's fantastic benefits include an excellent training programme and genuine career progression opportunities. In addition, for your hard work, you will receive a salary depending on experience between £25k and £35k.
Let's get started!
This role is available for a start as soon as possible and interviews will be arranged as soon as possible. This will involve an initial phone call followed by a face to face interview if successful.
For more information or a detailed job specification, please contact Ben G at Brook Street on 02380 224139 or send your CV to Ben.Grice (at) brookstreet.co.uk.